- Any machine running at least mac OS X 10.11
Installation of Deskovery is simple. You just have to extract it from the zip archive file and to run it.
It is recommended to copy it and run it from the Application folder
You need to allow Deskovery to use Universal Access. The full procedure can be found here. Installation of the plugin with SIP
Deskovery is a menubar application. It does not show an icon in the Dock. It goal is to provide different features to make windows management easier and faster under mac OS X.
It provide a menu when clicking on its icon. This menu allows to configure it and to perform different window management operations.
You can temporarily pause Deskovery by using the bottom left switch. Deskovery can be definitively stopped using the off button.
Window shading (aka minimize to titlebar)
Deskovery offers different ways to windowshade your windows:
- By double clicking in the title bar, (if double click is configured that way)
- By using a customizable keyboard shortcut
- By using the resize widget, available in the zoom button or directly from Deskovery menu.
Windowshading can be customized
You also have two features to unshade windows:
- The “unshade all” menu option
- Unshade a specific window from the list of shaded windows.
Deskovery provide a quick way to switch between Spaces Desktops.
In order to work properly this feature needs to have one keyboard shortcut defined AND assigned to each Desktop. To see how to configure these shortcuts properly, see that guide
The resize widget
This widget is available in the zoom button and from the Deskovery menu.
The resize grid
Deskovery provides a configurable
grid allowing in a simple selection to resize and position a window.
In order to use it, click on one of the cell of the grid, maintain pressed the left mouse button and drag the mouse cursor to another cell. Deskovery will use there proportions to resize the window.
Each window has a minimal size. If you specify a size smaller that this minimum, the minimum will be used.
Moving windows between screens
If you have multiple displays, Deskovery has the option to move a window from one screen to another. You just need to click on one of the left or right screen part, to either move to the previous or next screen.
The same widget is also providing a way to shade a window using the bar above the grid.
Windows preview in the Dock
Switching between windows of the same application can be tricky. In order to make it easier, Deskovery provides two features. One of the is the ability to see a preview of each window belonging to an application, when you mouse is over its Dock icon.
All Dock orientations are supported. To bring a window to the front, just click on its thumbnail. The preview popup automatically hides when you show Dock item options.
Another way to switch between windows is to use the windows switcher. It works like the built-in application switcher.
Its default keyboard shortcut is Ctrl
You can then maintain control pressed and cycle between windows by pressing again the Tab
Drag to size
You can simply resize and move an application using drag to size.
In order to use this feature, you have to press and maintain pressed the Ctrl
key when moving your windows.
Around each of your screens, Deskovery is maintaining a set of “sensitive areas”:
- In each corner
- In the middle of each side.
When your mouse is over one of these area, a transparent blue rectangle shows you the future size and position of the dragged window if you drop it in the current area.
From top to bottom, you can define:
- If you want Deskovery to start when you open your session
- Enable/Disable windows preview in the Dock
- Define the sizer grod columns and rows
- Enable/Disable the windows list
- Enable/Disable Drag to size
- Define which action you want when you double click on a window titlebar (center, fullscreen, or minimize to titlebar)
Windows shading options
By windowshading, we mean to minimize in place a window in order to only keep its upper part. In general only the titlebar is kept.
When a window is windowshaded, a copy of the window is made and the original window is hidden.
Deskovery is offering 2 different behaviors when you are windowshading:
- You can move the windows outside of the screen. In that case, the window is move to the extreme bottom left corner of the screens and is no more visible.
- You can also choose to minimize the original window to the Dock.
For each application, you can define the way Deskovery will shade the window:
- By default, the shaded window, will have ah height of 23 pixels, which is the standard titlebar height.
- If you specify 0 as height, the windowshading will have no effect of the windows of that application.
- Other values will be applied. In order to maximize the efficiency of that feature, it is recommended to do not have values greater than 100 pixels.