We’re pleased to announce that Deskovery 3 is now available and fully supporting macOS X Sierra.
What’s new in Deskovery 3?
- Simpler to install and to use: Fully compatible with El Capitan and Sierra (and SIP). No need to install, just launch it.
- Dock previews: allow to directly see in the Dock, windows previews.
- Space switcher: Directly see in with Space you are and switch in one click!
- Modern UI: The UI has been completely redesigned.
- These are some of the main new features. Deskovery 3 has been rewritten mostly from scratch and also brings a ton of small enhancements.
How to get it?
- If you are already owning a Deskovery License, see the F.A.Q. for upgrade process
Please don’t hesitate to contact us
if you have any questions. We are sure you will enjoy the new Deskovery!
Deskovery Beta 3 has been released.
- Fixed incorrect focus ring in preferences
- fixed incorrect grid drawing in sizer view
- Fixed: incorrect dock thumbnail position when dock is vertical
- Fixed: crash in Acrobat Reader (and possibly other Adobe apps) and Firefox due to “strange” AXUIElementIsAttributeSettable implementations
Thanks to Michele, Terre and Kyle for their very detailed bug reports 🙂
- Menubar icon is now visible in dark mode
- Google Chrome is now fully supported
- Dock items option menu is no more hidden bu the windows preview of Deskovery (Deskovery auto hides as soon as the menu is shown)
- Heigh of windows switcher adjusted in order to avoid unnecessary scrollbar.
- Fixed incorrect windows switcher window position.
- Fixed: incorrect layout of Dock thumbs preview.
- Updated error message when no keyboard shortcut is associated to a Desktop Space
Hi am pround to announce that I’ve finished the first beta of Deskovery 3.
Due to SIP, this is a major rewrite.
- No more need of an installer, just start the app
- No mode code injection, simpler and safer (especially with future releases of max OS X)
It also brings some brand new features:
- A space switcher
- Preview of windows directly from the Dock.
- and much more to discover.
More info: http://www.neomobili.com/products/deskovery/
I know that quite a lot of people are waiting for an new version of Deskovery. Since El Capitan, Deskovery requires to inactivate SIP in order to get all the features.
After months of trials, I realized that the best option was to rewrite it from scratch. It was an important work because finding new ways to provide the features while playing nice with SIP is a really a challenge for an utility like Deskovery.
The OSX Space Switcher is back!
Today, the application is done at 90%. It also took more time than expected because I’ve added to the tool, features I had to remove in the past like the Space switcher.
Users of the first versions of Deskovery will probably remind that there was a small popover allowing to change the current Space in one click. Mission control
has change the way Spaces are working and I am happy to announce that Deskovery 3 will provide again a way to do it.
OSX Space switcher
Space switcher will be directly available in the Menu bar menu of the application.
Deskovery 2.X is not working properly under OS X 10.11 (El Capitan).
The reason is the new security system integrated in El Capitan, called SIP for System Integrity Protection.
There are solutions to disable SIP and make Discovery working again, but I do not encourage them.
What will no more work
Features like wobbly windows will stop working from OS X 10.11. We are still looking for a way to bring them back but for the moment, all our ideas were unsuccessful.
The future and Deskovery
I am working on Deskovery 3 which will be a major rewrite of the application.
- Some features will be removed (like wobbly windows)
- Windowshading windows aka “minimize windows to titlebar” will be still there
- I am also adding some new functionalities and I am sure you will like them.
A beta version is expected very soon.
Deskovery is the only application bringing you wobbly Compiz (or Beryl) like windows animations to your Mac OS X desktop.
Wobbly windows are fun but not only. They also make the desktop more “dynamic” and “organic”.
Today, it is still the only application with such features on the market and I realized that I never talked about its making.
Here is the little story, telling you how it started.
How it was made?
I was a Linux user years ago and was really impressed but the capabilities and possibilities of Compiz. When I moved to OS X, I wanted to have the same features.
Nothing was existing under the Mac platform. I decided to use my development skills and build one.
Linux and OS X do not have the same infrastructure so a “simple” port was not possible.
I started to build from scratch a small and dedicated physics engine. Mimicking elasticity was a little challenge. I wanted to have something using minimal resources and realistic. It took me more time than expected to get an acceptable result, tweaking the parameters.
Next step was to “plug” the physics engine to the OS X windows server. The difficult part was to allow Deskovery to control other applications windows. I added the constraint to not modify system files and make Deskovery a safe utility.
I got a very valuable help from Anthonin, developer of TotalFinder, who gave me pointers to go in the right direction. A big thanks to you, you saved me hours of investigation.
After several weeks of development, Deskovery was born. It gains more features over the time and is now compatible with the latest version of Yosemite.
Deskovery 2.3.2 has been released.
The main change is the improved compatibility with Adobe Apps especially Photoshop.
It also provide minor memory and speed improvements.
You can download it here
The version 2.3.1 of Deskovery has been released. This version brings a new windowshading engine which extends its compatibility to the majority of existing OS X applications.
Deskovery now fully supports
- Office suite (Word, Excel, Power point, Outlook)
- Chrome (even the latest releases)
- And all other applications already supported.
You can download this version here: Dekovery
The version 2.3.0 of Deskovery has been released.
The main new feature is to support windowshading (minimize to title bar) for the following configurations
- Retina single monitor.
- Retina main screen with external non retina screen.
- Non retina main screen with external retina monitor.(there are quite a lot of people using their iPad as second monitor)
We know that is is a long time expected feature and we are happy to bring it to you.
Internal changes introduced by Mavericks and Yosemite made the development of Deskovery a little complex.
However we have a lot of ideas to make it even more powerful and time saver.
You can download this new release here : Deskovery 2.3.0
It has been tested on several configurations but if you encounter any issue with your retina macbook pro or retina iMac, please contact us.